This is a variation from the usual ginger shots, and I lvoe how the color turns out! No juicer needed, so less cleaning :) That’s why I prefer to make this easy, blended version most days!
The amount of juice that comes from one orange varies, that’s why I provided the ‘ml’ info for reference! For an even quicker recipe, you could also use store-bought orange juice (although I would highly recommend using a homemade one).
A little bit about the ingredients I used:
Beetroots are low in calories, but packed with nutrients like folate, manganese and potassium. Plus the amazing plant-compounds. They might have a positive effect on athletic perfomance, blood pressure, and other aspects that need more research.
Ginger is a root with quite a lot of benefits! It’s rich in antioxidants, has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. I love it for easing stomach issues or when I’m (feeling) sick as ginger tea. There have been studies with ginger about easing pain (study on menstrual pain), lowering cholesterol, and balancing blood sugar.
Lemons are a good source of Vitamin C, and their plant-compounds may have a positive impact on heart health, insulin (relevant for blood sugar) and several others (Study: Citrus flavonoids and lipid metabolism, Study: Citrus fruits as a treasure trove of active natural metabolites that potentially provide benefits for human health.)
Oranges are high in Vitamin C and a source of Thiamine, Folate, Pro-Vitamin A, Potassium and Antioxidants. Their plant-compounds have anti-inflammatory benefits, but there might be other positive effects on blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol.
While some of these benefits need (a lot) more research, eating fresh fruits and vegetables is usually a good idea that comes with no side effects. So even if research doesn’t show that one positive aspect, there is still a lot more that these little plants hold that we might not even be aware of!
Pink Beetroot Shots (No Juicer)
15 min // 6 servings // easy
- 1 beetroot (70 g)
- 15-20 g ginger
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (ca. 30 g)
- 1-2 oranges, juiced (ca. 160 ml)
- (Peel and) cut the beetroot and ginger into smaller pieces (beetroot might stain your hands and cutting board)
- Add the beetroot, ginger, lemon juice and orange juice to your blender and blend well (I used my nutribullet for this).
- Pour the blended juice through a strainer to filter out any leftover pieces.
- Store in fridge and enjoy in small servings (e.g. shot glasses).
- You can also add a little bit of apple cider vinegar, but be careful as it can have a negative impact on your teeth & your stomach.
- I find it's best to not drink shots like this on an empty stomach, so I always have some water or tea beforehand.